Art Arena: The Seven-Day Shuffle
Art Arena: Quick Draw: Seven Day Shuffle is an art contest sponsored by the United Nations, UNESCO, NCCA and Groundbreakers Inc., in cooperation with Manga Kami! Studios. Entries will only be accepted during the Mangaholix Manga Mania Animangaming convention at SMX Convention Center, Mall of Asia on May 31st.
Before 3:00pm on May 31, 2008 during the Mangaholix Manga Mania convention. Please submit your entries to the main Mangaholix booth.
You must create a pin up, editorial cartoon or 1 page comic that promotes one (1) of the UN’s Millennium Development Goals.
Strictly NO SOFTCOPY entries!
• Any medium is acceptable.
• Entries should be in A4 size
• Landscape or Portrait orientation is acceptable
• Should include 3 copies of the entry. Xerox or reprints are acceptable (Do not pass the original copy of your work)
• Contestant must be a Filipino citizen or resident
• Any elements in the artwork that is deemed inappropriate for public viewing shall be immediately disqualified (e.g. gore, nudity, sex, extreme violence etc.)
• Plagiarism is strictly prohibited (The use of characters, concepts or elements that are registered and copyrighted under any recognized creator or company).
• Collaborations (Artworks with multiple contributors) are accepted.
• First Place: Php 2,000 •Second Place: Php 1,000 •Third Place: Php 500
About the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
By 2015 all 189 United Nations Member States have pledged to:
1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
• Reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than a dollar a day
• Reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
2. Achieve universal primary education
• Ensure that all boys and girls complete a full course of primary schooling
3. Promote gender equality and empower women
• Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
4. Reduce child mortality
• Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
5. Improve maternal health
• Reduce by three quarters the maternal mortality ratio
6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
• Halt and begin to reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS
• Halt and begin to reverse the incidence of malaria and other diseases
7. Ensure environmental sustainability
• Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources
• Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water
• Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum-dwellers by 2020
8. Develop a global partnership for development
• Develop further an open trading and financial system that is rule-based, predictable and non-discriminatory. Includes a commitment to good governance, development and poverty reduction – nationally and internationally
• Address the least developed countries’ special needs. This includes tariff- and quota-free access for their exports; enhanced debt relief for heavily indebted poor countries; cancellation of official bilateral debt; and more generous official development assistance for countries committed to poverty reduction
• Address the special needs of landlocked and small island developing States
• Deal comprehensively with developing countries’ debt problems through national and international measures to make debt sustainable in the long term
• In cooperation with the developing countries, develop decent and productive work for youth
• In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries
• In cooperation with the private sector, make available the benefits of new technologies – especially information and communications technologies